________________________________________

4/5/11

Utah Lake

UTAH LAKE


View Larger Map

Having lived next to this enormous body of water for 80% of my life, one might expect that a fish head like myself has spent countless hours at such a place, right? Wrong.

I know, it's a shame when a lake with so many different species available is left neglected time and time again. My fishing hours were usually spent swiping at massive clouds of mosquitoes while hoping the rod would eventually shake.

Sometimes it shook, often it didn't. When an actual fish was caught, there was great rejoicing until I saw the evil creature that awaited my grasp...

The yellow bullhead catfish is quite prevalent throughout the lake (especially shorelines) and I'm not kidding when I say that I've caught prettier diapers than this hideous booger with fins. They don't get too much over 14 inches long and they don't really put up the best fight. I suppose they're better than getting skunked, but not by much.

Personally, I've never really hooked into anything worth catching at Utah Lake and that just keeps me away. I have, however, entertained thoughts of some largemouth bass fishing on the fly from my tube. Hooking into a big channel cat would also make it more worthwhile too. Perhaps I just need to spend some quality time there to enjoy it more.

It certainly is peaceful and relaxing to spend a lunch break listening to the birds and watching the carp splashing around. That I will vouch for.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Hate it? Drop a line.

Some Background...

WHY FISH?

Why not go jogging, hit the gym, start a garden or whatever it is that normal humans do? What's so fascinating about these slimy little creatures that live in the water?

Fishing is a bit more to me than a hobby or a sport. It's an essential part of life that helps me connect with the Earth in ways similar to the long-practiced traditions of mankind. Wherever man has had a water source, there has been fishing.

It's only natural.

Happy Fishing, Humans.