________________________________________

4/8/11

D.C.



DEER CREEK RESERVOIR


View Larger Map







Deer Creek and I go way back, but we're not necessarily friends. I've lost many an hour of my life at Deer Creek in pursuit of trout and have only caught a few during open water months.

It would be nice if DC and I could settle our little feud because it's so close to home that I could easily be on the water in less than 30 minutes. I believe we're working things out between us during the winter months though.

Ice season is much better for me. Given my history at Deer Creek, my first trip on the ice had me expecting a skunk, but I actually pulled some pretty nice rainbows through the hole. The ensuing trips provided the same, to my amazement.







The usual catch is the very prolific DINK smallmouth bass.



In fact, here's my biggest smallmouth out of there:



I know that huge fish swim the waters of Deer Creek and I've seen them before. 30 inch walleye are in there. Giant browns, a ton of rainbows and a few cutthroat. That being the case, DC is also known for massive, pole breaking carp as well. Holdsworth broke an Ugly Stik on one.

Beware of this guy. I don't think the traditional methods will work on him.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Hate it? Drop a line.

Some Background...

WHY FISH?

Why not go jogging, hit the gym, start a garden or whatever it is that normal humans do? What's so fascinating about these slimy little creatures that live in the water?

Fishing is a bit more to me than a hobby or a sport. It's an essential part of life that helps me connect with the Earth in ways similar to the long-practiced traditions of mankind. Wherever man has had a water source, there has been fishing.

It's only natural.

Happy Fishing, Humans.