________________________________________

4/5/11

Otter Wotter

Yesterday (Sat), I took the long drive to Otter Creek for some open water and brutish rainbows. On the way, I was surprised to see that Koosharem is still completely capped with ice, showing only faint signs of softening edges.

Upon arrival at OC, I tried my luck below the dam. The flow was very light and there didn't appear to be any fish in that area, so I got back on track and hit the South Point area of the lake.

The wind was blowing (as usual) and the water looked too choppy for a float, so I just threw heavy lures and soaked minnows from shore. The action was super slow, but the fish I caught were worth the wait.

My first fish took a gold kastmaster shortly after I started fishing and it was great to feel the aggressive fight of a nice OC rainbow once again. It measured 20 inches.



Not a bad start to the day, I thought. About 20 minutes after that fish, I was surprised to see my other rod spitting out line. The minnow that I used was one of the biggest redsides I've seen, and I was anxious to see if it would get any attention (it would take a sizable fish to eat it). Unfortunately, my attempt to set the hook failed and I never got to meet the hog on the other end of my line. Bummer.

The next couple of hours passed without any more fish coming in. Eventually, a rainbow kastmaster was able to entice another strike and fish #2 for the day was at my hand.


Another long dry spell passed and I got a really hard strike on my lure, but was unable to keep that fish on. About a half hour later, my third and final fish for the day came thrashing in after a hard fought battle. It swallowed the whole lure and got hooked in the gill rake pretty badly.


A couple more empty hours went by and it was time to head home. It may have been really slow fishing, but I was well overdue for some big angry fish to fight with and I'm glad I made it down there.

Happy Fishing, Humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Hate it? Drop a line.

Some Background...

WHY FISH?

Why not go jogging, hit the gym, start a garden or whatever it is that normal humans do? What's so fascinating about these slimy little creatures that live in the water?

Fishing is a bit more to me than a hobby or a sport. It's an essential part of life that helps me connect with the Earth in ways similar to the long-practiced traditions of mankind. Wherever man has had a water source, there has been fishing.

It's only natural.

Happy Fishing, Humans.